New Teacher Workshops
Twice-monthly orientation and mentoring workshops are offered to all new Union City School District educational staff to provide support and increase retention.
Through orientation, induction, and mentoring, this program provides new teachers with:
- Effective classroom management procedures and routines
- Effective instructional practices
- Sensitivity to and understanding of school community
- Lifelong learning and professional growth
- Unity and teamwork among the entire learning community
- Reduced intensity of the transition into teaching
- Increase retention of more highly qualified teachers
Beginning teacher induction improves teaching performance, increases retention, promotes personal and professional well-being, and transmits our District’s culture. Mentoring Program
Participants are matched in one-on-one relationships between a beginning teacher—the protégé—and a trained veteran teacher, the mentor. Our mentoring program consists of a mentoring committee, mentor training, mentor-protégé partnership, and classroom observation.